The SAS Survival Handbook is a new and fully updated edition of the original, bestselling survival handbook. The guide is written by ex-SAS survival expert John ‘Lofty’ Wiseman, “Lofty Wiseman” became the youngest ever person to pass the SAS’s selection test in 1956 at the age of 18 and went on to serve for 26 years rising to Sergent Major. After leaving the SAS he has worked as a survival consultant and produced this book – the most reliable, authoritative and respected survival information on the market.
The original survival handbook – the choice of both survival expert and novice, this book is the international bestseller which in the 20 years since it was first published has been often imitated but never bettered. In this fully updated edition, Lofty imparts his much sought-after survival experience, knowledge and timeless techniques – preparing you for anything, anywhere in the world.
Updated contents include:
- Be prepared – The latest, most resilient, resourceful and eco-friendly must-have kit
- Strategy – Dealing with accidents and escape procedures, and adapting to terrain – polar regions, mountains, seashores, islands, deserts and the tropics
- Food – What you need to keep going – edible plants, animals and insects – plus animals tracks and techniques for hunting, trapping, fishing and handling the kill
- Camp Craft – Skills for building shelter, making and using fire, preparing survival meals, using tools and ropes, lashings and knots
- Reading Signs – Not only reading but how to make maps and compasses, plus other ways of direction finding and also predicting the weather
- On the Move – Knowing when to break camp, planning your route, tackling the terrain and making sledges and rafts
- Health – First aid priorities, natural medicine and treatment procedures for tropical and other diseases, cold-climate hazards and dangerous or poisonous creatures
- Survival at Sea – What to do if you have to abandon ship – survival afloat and how to make a landfall
- Rescue – Different signals and ways of signalling, plus various rescue techniques
- Fear Management – How to react, keep calm, and manage hostile environments and survival situation
- Navigation – Skills, technologies and techniques to use when making your way through unfamiliar terrain
Also featuring new case studies and survival scenarios, designed to offer fascinating insight into other people’s survival experiences and to force you to think about what you would do in their position.